Subject: Reading & Language
Grade Level: Kindergarten
Time Frame: 45 min.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.1D-Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters of the alphabet.
Phonics and Word Recognition
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.3a Demonstrate basic knowledge of letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary or most frequent sound for each consonant.
Conventions of Standard English
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.K.1a Print many upper- and lowercase letters.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.K.2c Write a letter or letters for most consonant and short-vowel sounds (phonemes).
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.2 Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes).
Topic: Letter N
- Identify and name the letter N
- Produce the sound for letter N
- Write both upper- and lower-case letter N
- “The Best Nest” by P.D Eastman
- Chart paper with Nn and nest
- Letter N video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCxv2ZPU3vg&list=ECBADD94CE3A9304E0&index=15) or Heidi Songs letter N video (http://www.heidisongs.com/our-products/details.php?id=69&keywords=Singable_Songs_for_Letters_and_Sounds_DVD)
- Letter N practice writing worksheet (http://www.dltk-teach.com/alphabuddies/trace.htm)
- DLTK N book (http://www.dltk-teach.com/minibooks/n/index.htm)
- Letter N movement card
- Letter N picture sort objects
- Center materials for letter poster, letter puzzle, which letter will win, ice cream ABC
Anticipatory Set: To introduce the lesson the teacher will show the students the chart paper with the nest, Nn will be covered in post-its. The teacher will ask the students what they think it is and if they can guess its beginning letter(uncover post-its after). The teacher will then go over the sound for letter N and what it looks like.
- To begin the lesson the teacher will read the book “The Best Nest” by J.D Eastman and have students listen and watch for the letter N.
- After the teacher has read the book they will go over the sound for N, and have students think of things that begin with N they can “build” their nest of. Students will have a chance to share ideas and draw pictures inside the nest on the chart paper. (Day 1).
- The students will then watch the letter N video to practice making the sound and learn how to write the upper- and lower-case letter. While the video is showing how to write the letter, students will “air write” the letter at the rug.
- After the students have watched the video, they will do a practice writing sheet for the letter N. (Day 2).
- For more practice on identifying the letter N as well as forming both upper- and lower-case letters, students will do center rotations. Each center will be 10 minutes long, with 5 minutes of directions before-hand as a class. Before the students visit the centers they will watch the letter N video as a refresher on the sounds and letter formation. The centers for letter N include letter poster, letter puzzle, which letter will win, and ice cream ABC. (Day 3)
- Students will then practice identifying the letter N in text as a class by reading a short story on the letter N. They will read the DLTK book as a class but students will have their own copies, where they will highlight the letter N where they find it. (Day 4)
Closure: As a wrap-up and closure for the lesson, students will practice identifying the letter N and the sounds by doing a class picture sort at the rug. The teacher will fill a bin with objects that begin with the letter N, as well as ones that do not. Each student will have a chance to pick an object out of the bin that begins with the letter N. At this time the teacher will also give students a chance to share their alphabet search object for that week (see lesson introduction for instructions). Once students have had a chance to share, the teacher will introduce the letter movement for that week. (Day 5)
Formative Assessment: Students will be assessed based on their completed worksheets for the letter N, as well as their participation in class discussions during the picture sort and the reading of . The worksheets that will be turned in to be assessed for completion include the practice writing sheet, letter poster, and which letter will win.