English Language Arts Common Core Standards: Learning the Alphabet in Kindergarten
Reading: Foundational Skills
Print Concepts- Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic features of print.
- Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters of the alphabet
Phonics and Word Recognition- Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary or most frequent sound for each consonant
- Associate the long and short sounds with the common spellings (graphemes) for the five major vowels
Conventions of Standard English- Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
- Print many upper- and lowercase letters
- Write a letter or letters for most for most consonant and short-vowel sounds (phonemes)